Our Thai Massage Training Program is an exceptional, in-depth study of Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork focused primarily on hands-on embodied training – rather than on theoretical training. In addition to learning the physical aspects of Thai bodywork, we also explore the spiritual and emotional components behind healing work. This is accomplished through the practice of yoga, partner yoga, meditation, prayer, breath-work, and mindful listening exercises. We strive to create a heart-felt, connected and supportive community. Pertinent historical, cultural and religious aspects of Thai Massage are also touched upon. Due to the intensive nature of the Thai Massage training program, we ask students to really focus on the learning experience by attending all of the classes and practicing in between them.
We offer a Basic Certification Thai Massage Training program and an Advanced Certification Thai Massage Training program. Each program is composed of more than one workshop. CEs are available for all workshops. The workshops are designed to be taken one after the other, but can be taken as stand-alone workshops. The Basic Certification Training Program is offered every fall and every spring. The Advanced Certification Training Program is offered occassionally.
The Basic Certification Thai Massage Training Program is comprised of three workshops as follows:
1. Supine & Prone – (supine -face up; prone – face down) In this three weekend workshop you will learn fundamental Thai massage techniques such as palming and thumbing as well as over thirty wonderful stretches in supine & prone. You will learn proper ergonomics and positioning. Upon completion, you will be able to give a 1 ½ hour Thai Yoga Massage in the supine and prone positions. No prerequisite. 40.5 CEs with NCBTMB and NY State; 6 CEs with YA
2. Side Lying, Inverted, Seated & Supine – (side-lying – lying on the side; inverted – legs higher than the head; seated – in a sitting position) In this three weekend workshop we will cover proper palming and thumbing techniques as well as over thirty-five awesome Thai massage stretches in side lying, inverted, seated and supine. You will be able to give a 1 ½ hour Thai Yoga Massage in these four positions. No prerequisite. 40.5 CEs with NCBTMB and NY State; 6 CEs with YA
3. Putting It All Together – In this one weekend workshop we will review and refine all the techniques learned in the prior two workshops. Transitions between movements will also be introduced. On the second day all students will work on an outside guest that they have invited to the workshop. Prerequisite: Supine & Prone and Side Lying, Inverted, Seated & Supine workshops. 13.5 CEs with NCBTMB and NY State; 2 CEs with YA
Basic Certification is given to those students who successfully complete all three parts of the Basic Certification Thai Massage Training Program – i.e. Supine & Prone (40.5 CEs); Side Lying, Inverted, Seated & Supine (40.5 CEs), and Putting It All Together (13.5 CEs). 94.5 CEs
The Advanced Certification Thai Massage Training Program is comprised of two workshops as follows.
1. Advanced Supine – you will learn many additional techniques in the supine position. Prerequisite: Basic Training Program completed. 27 CEs with NCBTMB and NY State
2. Advanced Side Lying, Prone, Inverted and Seated – you will learn many additional techniques in the side-lying, prone, inverted and seated positions. Prerequisite: Basic Training Program completed. 27 CEs with NCBTMB and NY State
Upon completion of the Advanced Training program you will have over four hours of Thai Massage techniques to draw from and will be able to create customized Thai Yoga bodywork sessions based on the needs of your clients.
Advanced Certification is given to those students who successfully complete both parts of the Advanced Certification Thai Massage Training Program – i.e. Advanced Supine (27 CEs) and Advanced Side Lying, Prone, Inverted and Seated (27 CEs). 54 CEs
We highly recommend that you take the workshops in the order presented above, but if your schedule doesn’t permit, you can take them in the order that is best for you as long as you meet the prerequisites. For example, in the Basic Certification Training you can take the Supine workshop first or the Side-Lying, Prone, Inverted & Seated workshop first as neither has a prerequisite.
CEs (continuing education units) are available for all the trainings. We are approved by NCBTMB, NYS and Yoga Alliance as a continuing education provider. Please read more about CEs in our FAQ section.
Certification versus Licensing Please refer to our FAQ page for more information about this subject.
Instructor: Master teacher Ananda Apfelbaum teaches all of the workshops. She is the renowned author of Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork and the producer of the instructional DVD, Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork. Apfelbaum brings over twenty-five years of teaching experience as well as thirty-two years of massage therapy experience. She studied extensively in Thailand as well as in Japan and China. Ananda loves to share with her students this amazing art.
Location: All the workshops are held in Soho on Wooster St in New York City. Exact address will be given upon registration.
Payment Plan/Financial Help
For those with financial difficulties, please email us about your situation and inquire about payment plans and work-study opportunities. We don’t want anyone not to be able to come, but at the same time we hope that no one takes advantage of our wish to help, as we ourselves have a high overhead.
Discounts by Check
We are offering a $100 discount if you pay for the training by check rather than by paypal. Checks can be made out to Ananda Apfelbaum and mailed to 92 Foster St., Littleton, MA 01460. Please note the early bird and late bird deadlines. Checks at the early bird discount need to arrive before the early bird deadline.
Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork Basic Certification Training Program, NYC This program encompasses the Supine & Prone; Side Lying, Inverted, Seated, & Supine and the Putting It All Together workshops.
94.5 CEs NCBTBM and NY State; 14 CEs Yoga Alliance
Dates: Oct. 17-18, Oct. 24-25, Oct. 31-Nov. 1, Nov. 7-8, Nov. 14-15, Nov. 21-22, Dec. 19-20, 2020 (all dates are part of this training)
Hours: 10-6 pm
- $1695 Basic Training – early bird registration by Sept. 19, 2020
- $1795 Basic Training – late registration after Sept. 19, 2020
Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork Supine & Prone Workshop, NYC
40.5 CEs NCBTMB, NY State; 6 CEs Yoga Alliance
Dates: Oct. 17-18, Oct. 24-25, Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2020 (all dates are part of this training)
Hours: 10-6 pm
- $935 Supine & Prone – early bird registration by Sept. 19, 2020
- $985 Supine & Prone – late registration after Sept. 19, 2020
Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork: Side Lying, Inverted Seated & Supine Workshop, NYC
40.5 CEs NCBTMB, NY State; 6 CEs Yoga Alliance
Dates: Nov. 7-8, Nov. 14-15, Nov. 21-22, 2020 (all dates are part of this training)
Hours: 10-6 pm
- $935 Side Lying, Inverted, Seated & Supine early bird registration by Oct. 10, 2020
- $985 Side Lying, Inverted, Seated & Supine late registration after Oct. 10, 2020
Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork: Putting It All Together Workshop, NYC
13.5 CEs – NCBTMB, NY State; 2 CEs Yoga Alliance approved
*Please note: This class is ONLY for those who have taken the Supine & Prone as well as the Side Lying, Inverted, Seated, & Supine Workshop. Basic certification is given upon completion of the program.
Dates: Dec. 19-20 (both days are part of this training)
Hours: 10-6 pm
- $385 Putting It All Together early bird registration by Nov. 21, 2020
- $435 Putting It All Together late registration after Nov. 21, 2020
Thai Massage Private Classes in NYC
- $120/hr private Thai Massage tutorial
Thai Massage Repeat Trainings in NYC
It’s a great idea to repeat the training. Very reduced prices.
- $795 Repeat Basic Training or $695 if paid before the early bird deadline by check.
- $415 Repeat Supine & Prone or $315 if paid before the early bird discount by check.
- $415 Repeat Side Lying, Inverted, Seated & Supine or $315 if paid before the early bird discount by check.
- $145 Repeat Putting It All Together or $125 if paid before the early bird discount by check.
- $95 Repeat One Day Pass or $65 if paid beforehand by check.
Continuing Education (CEs)
There are three kinds of CEs (continuing education hours) available. Two are under the auspices of NCBTMB (National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork) and one is under Yoga Alliance. For those needing CEs from NCBTMB, one is for massage therapists from out of state and the other is for NY state LMTs (Licensed Massage Therapists). CEs are needed by licensed massage therapists and Yoga Alliance registered yoga teachers in order to renew their license/registration. NY State LMTs need the NY state approved CEs. Out of state LMTs need the NCBTMB CEs. NY state requires LMTs to get 36 CEs over a three year period for their massage license renewal. YA registered yoga teachers need CEs to renew their registration, but they do not need an actual CE certificate as YA currently uses an honor system so you can just report on their website how many CEs you obtained from your training. (read more...)
In order to receive your CE certificate, you need to attend and successfully complete the entire training program.. Please note that CE certificates are different from the Basic Certification Thai Massage Training Program and the Advanced Certification Thai Massage Training Program certificates which all students receive upon successful completion of the Basic or Advanced Thai Massage Training Programs.
Thai Massage Training Program Recommendations:
- Book – Thai Massage, Sacred Bodywork by Ananda Apfelbaum. Click here to order the book. The book will also be available at the workshops for $22.
- DVD – Thai Massage, Sacred Bodywork by Ananda Apfelbaum. This DVD covers the Thai Massage sequence learned in the Basic Training Program. Click here to order the DVD. They will also be available at the workshops for $30.
- Private Classes – Ananda will go over your Thai Massage techniques and give you guidance and feedback. This will ensure that you practice correctly. $100/hour
- Thai Massage Session – will help you understand Thai Massage better. Ananda is available for sessions.
- Bodywork Experience – recommended, but not necessary.
Thai Massage Training Program Requirements
- Practice – two hours of documented home practice need to be done between each weekend of a training program.
- Physical Condition – you need to be able to work on your hands and knees.
- Attendance – come to class on time and stay for the duration of the class unless an exception has been given.
- Training manual. $20 cash/check to be paid at the door. Manual will be available at the beginning of a training program.
Thai Massage Training Program Make Up Classes
It generally takes one hour of private class to cover three hours of workshop material. Missed classes must be made up before the next class. During makeup classes, only the actual Thai Massage techniques that were missed will be covered. Make up classes are $100/hour.
For the schedule of upcoming Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork workshops, go to the Calendar. If you have any questions regarding the information presented here, please contact Ananda at: email@example.com
Location of all NYC workshops is in Soho, New York, NY 10012 near the N/R Prince Street stop and the C/E Spring Street stop. (Exact location will be given upon registration.)
If not enough students have signed up for a program/workshop by two weeks before a training is about to begin, it will have to be rescheduled to a later date. Those students who have registered will have their payment applied to the next same program/workshop. If they can’t make the next training and inform Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork right away, they will get a refund for the full amount they paid. Also in terms of private classes, the courtesy of at least 24 hours notice to cancel or reschedule a private class is required. Failure to comply will result in the full charge except in emergency situations.
No refund/credit will be given after one has registered for a workshop or private class except in the case of a medical emergency. Workshops are non-refundable and payments cannot be used for a different date or time. In case of a medical emergency please inform Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork so they can discuss the situation with you. If a refund is given, it will be minus a $100 processing fee.
If you lose your certificate, there is a $35 dollar remake fee plus $5 for shipping and handling to get a new one.