Our Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork Training Program is an exceptional, in-depth study of Thai Massage. We focus primarily on hands-on embodied training, rather than theoretical training. We try to put into practice both the physical aspects of Thai bodywork as well as its spiritual and emotional components. During the course, we introduce you to the historical, cultural and religious background of Thai Massage. We use yoga, partner yoga, meditation, prayer, breath-work, and mindful listening practices to enhance the learning experience and to create a heart-felt connected and supportive community. Due to the intensive nature of our Thai Massage Training Programs, we ask that you fully dedicate yourselves to the learning process by attending all classes and practicing outside of the training in between weekends.
Our Thai Massage Certification Training Program consists of two parts – a Basic Training program and an Advanced Training program.
You can take the full program or individual workshops within a program. The full program is ideally done all at once but if needs be can be taken spread out over time. The trainings take place every fall and spring so if you can’t do it all in one season, you can do some of the training now and the rest later and can thus complete the certification training over time.
The Basic Training Certification Program is comprised of three workshops based on body positions. These workshops are designed to be taken one after the other, but can be taken as stand-alone workshops. Please note that certification is given only after completing all three workshops.*
1. Supine & Prone – supine means lying face up; prone means lying face down. In this 3 weekend workshop you will learn fundamental Thai massage techniques such as palming and thumbing as well as over 30 wonderful stretches in the supine & prone positions. You will learn proper ergonomics and positioning. Upon completion, you will be able to give a 1 ½ hour Thai Yoga Massage in the supine and prone positions. No prerequisites. 40.5 CEs with NCBTMB and NY State; 6 CEs with YA.
2. Side Lying, Inverted & Seated – side-lying means lying on the side; inverted means having the legs higher than the head and seated means in a sitting position. In this 2 ½ weekend workshop we will cover proper palming and thumbing techniques as well as over 35 awesome Thai Massage stretches in these three positions. You will be able to give a 1 ½ hour Thai Yoga Massage in these three positions. No prerequisites. 34 CEs with NCBTMB and NY State; 5 CEs with YA.
3. Putting It All Together – is a 1 weekend workshop where we will review and refine the techniques already learned in the five body positions. Transitions between movements will also be introduced. On the second day all students will have a guest of theirs come to give a Thai Massage session to. Prerequisites: Supine & Prone as well as Side-Lying, Inverted & Seated workshops. 13.5 CEs with NCBTMB and NY State; 2 CEs with YA
*Basic Certification is given to those students who successfully complete all three parts of the Thai Massage Basic Training Program – i.e. Supine & Prone (40.5 CEs), Side Lying, Prone, Inverted & Seated (34 CEs) and Putting It All Together (13.5 CEs). The workshops can be taken all at once or spread out over time. 88 CEs
The Advanced Training Certification Program is comprised of two programs based on body positions as follows.
1. Advanced Supine – you will learn many additional techniques in the supine position. Prerequisite: Basic Training Program completed. 27 CEs
2. Advanced Side Lying, Prone, Inverted and Seated – you will learn many additional techniques in the side-lying, prone, inverted and seated positions. Prerequisite: Basic Training Program completed. 27 CEs
Upon completion of the Advanced Training program you will have over four hours of Thai Massage techniques to draw from and will be able to create customized Thai Yoga bodywork sessions based on the needs of your clients.
Advanced Certification is given to those students who successfully complete both parts of the Advanced Thai Massage Training Program – i.e. Advanced Supine (27 CEs) and Advanced Side Lying, Prone, Inverted and Seated (27 CEs) . 54 CEs
We highly recommend that you take the workshops in the order presented above, but if your schedule doesn’t permit, you can take them in the order that is best for you as long as you meet the prerequisites. For example, in the Basic Certification Training you can take the Supine workshop first or the Side-Lying, Prone, Inverted & Seated workshop first as neither has a prerequisite.
CEs (continuing education units) are available for all the trainings. We are approved by NCBTMB, NYS and Yoga Alliance as a continuing education provider. Please read more about CEs in our FAQ section.
Certification versus Licensing Please refer to our FAQ page for more information about this subject.
Instructor: Master teacher Ananda Apfelbaum teaches all of the workshops. She is the renowned author of Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork and the producer of the instructional DVD, Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork. Apfelbaum brings you over twenty-five years of teaching experience as well as thirty-two years of massage therapy experience. She studied extensively in Thailand as well as in Japan and China. Ananda loves to share with her students this amazing art.
Location: All the workshops are held in Soho on Wooster St in New York City. Exact address will be given upon registration.
Payment Plan/Financial Help
For those with financial difficulties, please email us about your situation and inquire about payment plans, work-study opportunities. We don’t want anyone not to be able to come, but at the same time we hope that no one takes advantage of our wish to help, as we ourselves have a high overhead.
Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork: Basic Certification Training Program, NYC Encompasses the Supine & Prone; Side Lying, Inverted & Seated, and Putting It All Together Workshops. Sign up for the full program early and get a $100 discount.
88 CEs NCBTBM and NY State; 13 CEs Yoga Alliance.
Dates: Nov. 2-3, Nov. 9-10, Nov. 16-17, Nov. 23, Dec. 7-8, Dec. 14-15, Dec. 21-22, 2019 (all dates are part of this training)
Hours: 10-6 pm
- $1595 Basic Training early bird registration (by Oct. 5, 2019. Save $100)
- $1695 Basic Training late registration (after Oct. 5, 2019)
Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork: Supine & Prone Workshop, NYC
40.5 CEs NCBTMB, NY State; 6 CEs Yoga Alliance
Dates: Nov. 2-3, Nov. 9-10, Nov. 16-17, 2019 (all dates are part of this training)
Hours: 10-6 pm
- $835 Supine & Prone early bird registration (by Oct. 5, 2019. Save $50)
- $885 Supine & Prone late registration (after Oct. 5, 2019)
Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork: Side Lying, Inverted & Seated Workshop, NYC
34 CEs NCBTMB, NY State; 5 CEs Yoga Alliance
Dates: Nov. 23, Dec. 7-8, Dec. 14-15, 2019 (all dates are part of this training)
Hours: 10-6 pm
- $685 Side Lying, Inverted & Seated early bird registration (by Oct. 26, 2019. Save $50)
- $735 Side Lying, Inverted & Seated late registration (after Oct. 26, 2019)
Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork: Putting It All Together Workshop, NYC
13.5 CEs – NCBTMB, NY State; 2 CEs Yoga Alliance approved
*Please note: This class is ONLY for those who have taken the Supine as well as the Side Lying, Prone, Inverted & Seated Workshops. Basic certification is given upon completion of the program.
Dates: Dec. 21-22, 2019 (both days are part of this training)
Hours: 10-6 pm
- $285 Putting It All Together early bird registration (by Nov. 23, 2019. Save $50)
- 335 Putting It All Together late registration (after Nov. 23, 2019)
Thai Massage Private Classes in NYC
- $100/hr private Thai Massage tutorial
Thai Massage Repeat Trainings in NYC
It’s a great idea to repeat the training. You can also come for a day on a day pass.
- $795 Repeat Basic Training
- $415 Repeat Supine & Prone
- $345 Repeat Side Lying, Inverted & Seated
- $145 Repeat Putting It All Together
- $95 Repeat One Day Pass
Continuing Education (CEs)
There are three kinds of CEs (continuing education hours) available. Two are under the auspices of NCBTMB (National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork) and one is under Yoga Alliance. For those needing CEs from NCBTMB, one is for massage therapists from out of state and the other is for NY state LMTs (Licensed Massage Therapists). CEs are needed by licensed massage therapists and Yoga Alliance registered yoga teachers in order to renew their license/registration. NY State LMTs need the NY state approved CEs. Out of state LMTs need the NCBTMB CEs. NY state requires LMTs to get 36 CEs over a three year period for their massage license renewal. YA registered yoga teachers need CEs to renew their registration, but they do not need an actual CE certificate as YA currently uses an honor system so you can just report on their website how many CEs you obtained from your training. (read more...)
In order to receive your CE certificate, you need to attend and successfully complete the entire training program.. Please note that CE certificates are different from the Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork Basic Training Program and the Advanced Training Program Certificates which all students receive upon successful completion of the Basic or Advanced Thai Massage training program.
Thai Massage Training Recommendations
- Book – Thai Massage, Sacred Bodywork by Ananda Apfelbaum. Click here to order the book. The book will also be available at the workshops for $22.
- DVD – Thai Massage, Sacred Bodywork by Ananda Apfelbaum. This DVD covers the Thai Massage sequence learned in the Basic Training Program. Click here to order the DVD. They will also be available at the workshops for $30.
- Private Classes – Ananda will go over your Thai Massage techniques and give you guidance and feedback. This will ensure that you practice correctly. $100/hour
- Thai Massage Session – will help you understand Thai Massage better. Ananda is available for sessions.
- Bodywork Experience – recommended, but not necessary.
Thai Massage Training Requirements
- Practice – two hours of documented home practice need to be done between each weekend of a training program.
- Physical Condition – you need to be able to work on your hands and knees.
- Attendance – come to class on time and stay for the duration of the class unless an exception has been given.
- Training manual. $20 cash/check to be paid at the door. Manual will be available at the beginning of a training program.
Thai Massage Workshop Make Up Classes
It generally takes one hour of private class to cover three hours of workshop material. Missed classes must be made up before the next class. During makeup classes, only the actual Thai Massage techniques that were missed will be covered. Make up classes are $100/hour.
For the schedule of upcoming Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork workshops, go to the Calendar. If you have any questions regarding the information presented here, please contact Ananda at: email@example.com
Location of all NYC Workshops is in Soho, New York, NY 10012 near the N/R Prince Street stop and the C/E Spring Street stop. (Exact location will be given upon registration.)
If not enough students have signed up for a program/workshop by two weeks before a training is about to begin, it will have to be rescheduled to a later date. Those students who have registered will have their payment applied to the next same program/workshop. If they can’t make the next training and inform Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork right away, they will get a refund for the full amount they paid. Also in terms of private classes, the courtesy of at least 24 hours notice to cancel or reschedule a private class is required. Failure to comply will result in the full charge except in emergency situations.
No refund/credit will be given after one has registered for a workshop or private class except in the case of a medical emergency. Workshops are non-refundable and payments cannot be used for a different date or time. In case of a medical emergency please inform Thai Massage Sacred Bodywork so they can discuss the situation with you. If a refund is given, it will be minus a $100 processing fee.
If you loose your certificate, there is a remake $35 dollar fee plus $5 for shipping and handling to get a new one.